Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tuesday Poem - Roundels of various kinds on TP's 1st birthday




Today is Tuesday Poem's first birthday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TP



In lieu of cake baking, I've gathered a few round things together, beginning with the piped-icing ceiling rose in my daughter's bedroom - 





roundel |ˈroundl|nouna small disk, esp. a decorative medallion.• a picture or pattern contained in a circle.• Heraldry a plain filled circle as a charge (often with a special name according to color).a short poem consisting of three stanzas of three lines each, rhyming alternately, with the opening words repeated as a refrain after the first and third stanzas. The form, a variant of the rondeau, was developed by Swinburne.ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French rondel, from ro(u)nd- (see round ).

roundel (not to be confused with the rondel) is a form of verse used in English language poetry devised by Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837-1909). It is a variation of the French rondeau form. It makes use of refrains, repeated according to a certain stylized pattern. A roundel consists of nine lines each having the same number of syllables, plus a refrain after the third line and after the last line. The refrain must be identical with the beginning of the first line: it may be a half-line, and rhymes with the second line. It has three stanzas and its rhyme scheme is as follows: A B A R ; B A B ; A B A R ; where R is the refrain.
Swinburne had published a book A Century of Roundels [1]. He dedicated these poems to his friend Christina Rossetti, who then started writing roundels herself. (How marvelous this  mutual inspiration amongst friends. . . )

    A ROUNDEL    A roundel is wrought as a ring or a starbright sphere, (A)
    With craft of delight and with cunning of sound unsought, 
(B)
    That the heart of the hearer may smile if to pleasure his ear 
(A)
        A roundel is wrought. 
(R)

    Its jewel of music is carven of all or of aught - 
(B)
    Love, laughter, or mourning - remembrance of rapture or fear - 
(A)
    That fancy may fashion to hang in the ear of thought. 
(B)

    As a bird's quick song runs round, and the hearts in us hear 
(A)
    Pause answer to pause, and again the same strain caught, 
(B)
    So moves the device whence, round as a pearl or tear, 
(A)
        A roundel is wrought. 
(R)
    Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837-1909)

Mandala on a string/fancy umbrella stand (for a very flimsy umbrella)/elaborate city sidewalk drain cover. . .


In honour of our first birthday, Tuesday Poets have embarked on the creation of a communal poem, titled Tuesday. TP curator Mary McCallum posted the first line of this collaborative piece at a minute past midnight this morning. I was next up with a response to Mary's words; this poet-by-poet, line-by-line process will continue all week and culminate in a completed poem by Tuesday 12 April. Click on the quill to enter a whole new world and pop back to the TP hub during the week to witness the poem's unfolding. . . 




SOMETHING NEW

I have a newfound taste for lightness

albumen moon
mood stone
tone poem

I have a newfound lightness of taste

late wind
white ground
round sound

CB



19 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, TP, and congratulations Claire and Mary for this marvelous creation! You have made Tuesdays- which here in the States are generally Mondays, because I look in as soon as possible- a special and anticipated day of the week, and brought poems and poets to my life I would never have otherwise known. Sooo much to thank you for: "Its jewel of music is carven *for* all . . ." Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Claire!

    I love the ceiling roses and the rondels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timothy - lovely things you say. I too anticipate Tuesdays. Thank you for coming by....

    And I too love the ceiling roses and rondels - and the whole post, wonderful Claire.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swinburne really knows his way around(el)..You've collected so much here to study! And Happy Birthday to poetry, every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And apropos of not nothing, April 5 is, I believe, Swinburne's birthday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Claire...a memory of the book and film The Unbearable Lightness of Being came floating lightly into my consciousness after reading your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is freshly delighted by your poem. Lovely, thankyou cb. pmx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, I have much to catch up on, including a compilation of similar shapes.

    Thank you, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello TDC - thank you for your birthday wishes. What a year it is has been - measurably and immeasurably generative. I echo your anticipation of Tuesdays (whenever they occur on the map!) and am grateful for the many unexpected encounters with new and old poets and poems.
    There's something about community, too, isn't there? And about/in the communal voice.
    L, C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Helen & Mary - we share a soft soft for circles and ceiling roses! The more dilly and over-the-top piped-icing-ish the roses (any roses, mind) are, the better?
    L, C ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lyn - he knew how to swirl, did Mr. Swinburne! And yes, Happy Birthday to poetry every day. . . & round sounding greetings to you, C

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Marylinn - really?!

    Yes - it is! Heavens, I had no idea when I posted this. Serendipity is alive and well.

    Thank you for joining the dots, materializing this quirky little bridge ; ) xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane- that was - is- some book/some movie. I can see the associations. . . more and more I understand that nothing exists in isolation; everything is connected/in relationship with/relevant to everything else. A huge-yet-comforting thought ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh delights, dear Map. . . ? This is how I felt when I read and reflected on your recent 'Sounds of Silence' piece. Each time we revisit a familiar place, we meet - or recognize - more of the Whole? L, C xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ant. C - juggling is a familiar act ; ). I appreciated your complication of shapes (oh, I see you've tucked the plates and flying saucers away; have just been over to your place to look at them again and find they're no longer there? Am glad I caught a glimpse of them yesterday. . . ; ) ).

    I watched a kind-of odd, kind-of funny, kind-of-endearing cat vid. a day or two ago but I can't for the life of me remember 'where'. When it eventually turns up, I will post the link for you, Antares Cryptos.

    Perhaps this is a reminder to goooo sloooowly? L, C

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL. The compilation of "complications"?

    Clarification please, something has gone missing that is yet to be missed?

    Go slowly, perhaps, experiencing spring induced exuberance, thanks to Sol and ornithology.

    Thank you for the link. :D There is much to share.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Plates" and "flying saucers"? Round shapes. Never featured flying saucers, what am I missing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Ant. C - - - yes, I missed this comment of yours. How mysterious the 'case of the missing circles'? Perhaps I dreamed this image, but I could swear I came to your blog and saw a black & white photograph of a tall, slender man dressed in white trousers, shirt, shoes and hat, juggling what looked like plates, tamborines and flying saucers? Not you? Not your site? Well, then, it resides in that space that's beyond explanation. Perhaps the image is an aspect of how I 'see' you here and on your site? I don't know - but there was mystery and magic; both of which are good, yes?
    ; ).

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL. Ah! Not my site, but an interesting image: "juggling plates, tambourines and flying saucers".:)

    Never viewed myself as such, now I want to find it, unless dreamed that image is somewhere out there. As to juggling, sometimes.:)

    I do have a problem wrote a long post on your time piece and it is not there. Did I hit preview instead of post? Scroll down to far and it's somewhere else? Mystery and magic.

    ReplyDelete