Saturday, November 01, 2008

A halo around the sun


These photographs were taken approximately ten minutes apart - the second one shows the sun's halo straddling our wind generator and solar panel; behind these (to the North West) are the Taylor Dry Valleys, with the Commonwealth glacier off to the East of the image.



Work preparations are well under way now - the divers (Cecil, Steve and Shawn) have been in and out of the water a couple of times over the past few days, testing various scientific and underwater camera equipment. The three scientists - Molly, Sally and Sam - have been getting the lab set up with microscopes, experimental arrays, cores, etc... so that when the first samples are brought up from the sea floor, we'll be ready to start sifting and sorting. And what have I been up to?! Well, I've been doing what I can to help - tending the divers, stitching little sample collecting bags using mesh gauze and fishing nylon, etc...

Over the next couple of days, I'll be outlining the group's research objectives for the season, posting pics and statements from each person in our team.

Tomorrow, the intention is to make a start on some of my art projects, too. Sam and I would like to open up the big crate containing Katherine's and Christina's fragile porcelain pieces so that we can start making a photographic document of them in this environment (playing, recording, filming them on the surface before we set them adrift beneath the ice next week some time.).

I'm knackered this evening, so will stop here and pick up again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. 24-04-09

    High Marishes North Yorkshire, I was sat outside (approximately 11am) taking a coffee break from work when I saw a sun dog in the sky(not knowing it was a sundog!) I phoned my partner to tell him of this amazing sight.Unfortunately he wasn't able to see this amazing phenomena. So I looked on the web-site when I got home to find out what caused it, I feel so privileged to have seen such a site!!

    ReplyDelete