Friday, September 28, 2012

ALICE WALKER on THE JOYS OF WORK







". . . One of the joys of work is where it takes us - you know, how it helps us develop. That's why it's so important that you do work that you absolutely love. It's the only way you really grow. It's who you are meant to be. The mysterious wonder of life is that you just never know where anything is going. . . " Alice Walker




And here I'm reminded of Rebecca Loudon - her uncompromising clarity and vision, her inbuilt capacity to penetrate, again and again, life's dark-bright forest. When I read her poems, I am challenged and consoled at one and the same time. 

". . . I don’t necessarily push dark imagery in my poems as much as I embrace darkness when it arrives in my life, and find a way for that darkness to exist inside language. These images rarely feel taboo, verboten. They are simply part of the soup; the weird, exhilarating, treacherous beauty of my inner and outer worlds. I observe these worlds from a place of wonder and deep play. I am, however, a fearless reviser, and when I scale back, its because my word choices lack music or sense or feel static. My scalpel is sharp. . . " - from an interview with Rebecca on Critical Mass



It is surely when we are doing the work we love most - the work we are here to do, whatever it is and however we understand it - that our work becomes our deepest play.  



Facing the Questions 
my front garden reflected in a favorite graphite drawing by John Mitchell (NZ)


 (    (  ( (XO) )  )   )



8 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Claire. I love the idea if work you love as "deep play." Rebecca's and Alice know, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Angella - yes, Rebecca and Alice know. As do we. We know this in our hearts and in our bones. Love to you in NYC xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We know when something rings true, don't we, Kay?

      (and on a slightly different topic, you make the best chocolate caramel squares ever! Thanks for leaving some behind after our workshop xo)

      Delete
  3. At its, or our, deepest and truest the work feels like the reason for being, all the corners into which it shines a light, all the souls with whom it allows us to connect. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marylinn, I agree. I agree. It seems to me the primary purpose of meaningful work is it capacity to communicate and connect. . .

      I love the image of work as a lighthouse - and a lighted house.

      Much love xo

      Delete
  4. I am so thankful for work. (And for Alice Walker and her writing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, dbs - and especially when it is also deep play.

      Have you read Alice W's 'Meridian'? I haven't but it was brought to my attention recently and I thought of you.

      Delete